Age Policy for young sailors
Llandegfedd Sailing Club promotes the safe enjoyment of sailing. Its should be a family sport. We are frequently asked about the youngest age that we can accommodate sailors. The rules on the reservoir have been relaxed. The Sailing Club has decided on how best to cope with challenges of training youngsters and who should be allowed in boats that are linked to the Sailing Club.
Llandegfedd Sailing Club has the following rules comprising the Age Policy
- LLSC will only train beginners who are eight years old or older. They must be amenable to instruction and confident in the water.
- LLSC will allow parents to take their children in sailing boats from the age of five. However,
- The parents retain full responsibility for their children
- The children must wear a suitable buoyancy aid with appropriate straps to ensure that it is secure and supportive if the child enters the water.
- The children must be dressed appropriately, on the assumption that they could get wet or be capsized.
- The parents are to be competent handling the boat they are sailing in.
- The weather and water temperature are to be suitable so that there is a minimal risk of capsizing, and if they do so there is minimal risk of hypothermia and cold water shock.
Children under eight who hold an RYA or equivalent certificate showing competence in sailing may be considered on a case by case basis for (non-beginners) training by the club.