Welcome to Llandegfedd Sailing Club
Whatever standard of sailor you are, Novice, Junior, Intermediate or National Champion, why not come and visit us? We have been told that we are..."...one of the best kept secrets in Wales!"
Roof works, March 2020
Llandegfedd Reservoir is conveniently located between Usk and Pontypool and is around 8 miles north of Newport. It has deep fresh water. It is less than half an hour's drive from Cardiff or the Severn Bridge, yet it is in an idyllic country setting which makes it one of the most beautiful inland sailing locations in the UK.
For those who don't own their own boat, but can sail, there is a fleet of adult and junior club boats available for use when they are not required for coaching and training. We have Laser 2000s, Lasers with a choice of rigs, Fevas and a dozen Toppers
Please use the buttons above to find where we are, what we do and come and join us.
Header banner photo of Llandegfedd Reservoir by Martin Farrimond of Bristol Nomads
Racing has Restarted
Watersports are permitted at Llandegfedd Reservoir for berth holders from Monday 13th July. Pre-booking is essential as in the initial phase numbers are limited. To book follow this Link to Watersports Booking . There are some rules lower down on that web page. If you book a slot and are unable to attend please phone the watersports centre on 01633 373408 so it can be re-allocated.
- We will run some less serious racing at 18:30 on Wednesdays. Special conditions apply
- 60 Minute Pursuits will be used, to help social distancing on start lines.
- Racing has also restarted on Sundays, with 9 August being the first day. Please check this page (below) for the times and approximate format.
- Boats must stay 2 metres apart, using the normal racing rules to determine who gives way.
- The OD hut and Penelope are out of bounds for those who are not part of the race management team.
- The safety boat will watch and supervise, but will not assist in rescues unless absolutely necessary. Masks will be worn during rescues.
- These races will not be part of an official series, being just a collection of races. We will publish the results in the normal way.
Other Sailing and overall special rules
The site is open 7 days a week from 9:00AM until 5:00pm. Limited toilet facilities are available but indoor changing rooms remain closed so please change at home.
The club Laser 2000's and Lasers (radial rig) are available for use but must be booked through Welsh Water with a fee of £10 to pay for professional cleaning after use.
If First Aid is required minor issues can be dealt with by a family member, otherwise approach Welsh Water staff for further assistance. Club members should only administer First Aid if it is an emergency and cannot be dealt with by others.
All members must comply with both Welsh Water and Welsh Government regulations and guidance taking particular note of the following:
- Members are only allowed to sail in a boat alone or with members of their own household (or an agreed "bubble") .
- Remain 2 m apart from others except from members of your own household.
- Please rig your boat on the beach, to the South side, so you can remain 2 m from anyone else, and will be out of the way of other reservoir users and walkers. Please do not leave your boat on the concrete road restricting the room there.
- Both on and off the water members need to aware of the rules regarding "gatherings", which are currently limited to two households. This is particularly important when members see fellow members who they have not seen for some time.
- Remember the need to wash hands and use hand sanitiser.
Club Meetings >> The Programme is suspended whilst the site is only just re-opening to watersports. At least we are restarting a level of racing in late July.
However, we have started a Virtual Sailing race series. Join the private facebook group for details. Results are published here. Results 2020
The 2020 Local Handicaps and Pursuit race offsets are published and available for everyone to see. (Same as for 2019) Click HERE
2020 Open Meetings
We have potentially THREE major events left this year. At present we have no idea whether we can hold these events. The later ones might be OK
- The RS 200 Ugly Tour will be on Saturday 12th September.
- The South Wales Cymru Youth Racing Circuit (CYRC) on Saturday 19th September.
- The 2000 Association Open Meeting on 24th and 25th October.
We now have the OD roster and race management information active again. The OD roster page and the OD Duties page (under Racing..) have a link to a short bit of RYA training on how to act as a one-man safety boat crew whilst we have social distancing in place. Please be thoughtful and maintain distancing, and leave the boats as clean as possible after you have used them and put them away.
16th August, first race 13:30, 1 Pursuit, 2 Handicaps
19th August, first race 18:30, 1 Pursuit
12th September, first race 13:00, 3 Handicaps
Sunday OD Duties
|Date||OD||OD Assistant||Rescue||Rescue Assistant|
|16th August||Mark Williams||A N Other||Neil Williams||Gill Williams|
Wednesday OD Duties
|Date||OD||OD Assistant||Rescue||Rescue Assistant|
|19th August||Peter Cruickshank||Pete Vincent||A N Other|
Sunday results up to the 9th August 2020 and Wednesday results up to the 5th August 2020 can be found here.
Robert Cone has started an LLSC Crewfinder service. This cannot be used until we can sail with people not of our own households. There is a WhatsApp group where helms wanting a crew, or crews wanting a boat/helm can contact each other. You need to send your mobile phone number in to Robert, via email, Click here to join LLSC Crewfinder. Its success will obviously be linked to supply and demand on both sides.
Our 2020 Training Programme was just about set up when the Coronavirus lockdown started. It is too soon to work out what we will be doing when we restart more organised activities in summer 2020. When things are moving, there will be an outline here and detail on the Training pages. Please contact our Principal Sarah at email@example.com
Llandegfedd Water Sports
The web site of Llandegfedd.co.uk outlines the offerings of Llandegfedd Watersport's training and leisure offerings, as well as new walks around the reservoir. Look under Watersports....Sailing Llandegfedd Watersports web pages are here
There are some training Photos HereReturn to the top of the page
How to Join the Llandegfedd Facebook Group
Our Facebook closed group is taking over from the email-based Yahoo! system. See the facebook links elsewhere on this page.