Welcome to Llandegfedd Sailing Club
Whatever standard of sailor you are, Novice, Junior, Intermediate or National Champion, why not come and visit us? We have been told that we are..."...one of the best kept secrets in Wales!"
Roof works, March 2020
Llandegfedd Reservoir is conveniently located between Usk and Pontypool and is around 8 miles north of Newport. It has deep fresh water. It is less than half an hour's drive from Cardiff or the Severn Bridge, yet it is in an idyllic country setting which makes it one of the most beautiful inland sailing locations in the UK.
For those who don't own their own boat, but can sail, there is a fleet of adult and junior club boats available for use when they are not required for coaching and training. We have Laser 2000s, Lasers with a choice of rigs, Fevas and a dozen Toppers
Please use the buttons above to find where we are, what we do and come and join us.
Header banner photo of Llandegfedd Reservoir by Martin Farrimond of Bristol Nomads
Racing and club activity has restarted
The Programme has been reworked, and may change from week to week. Keep an eye on this page to see when the next races are.
We will race on Wednesdays and Sundays at 13:30. Please check details in the tables lower down this page. (Next Racing)The Wednesday programme is currently a series of 45 minute Pursuits, extended dates to catch up with some sailing. Note the start time changes;
|and finally, 21 October||16:45 will be the last Wednesday race|
Covid-19 Golden Rules
General Rules for all
- If you, or any member of your family group, have symptoms of COVID-19, or have been at increased risk of exposure PLEASE STAY AT HOME
- Respect others who may have heightened anxiety
- Only attend if you are directly involved in a club activity - minimise spectators' (parents etc) access to the beach
- Do not gather in groups
- Be aware of other users and respect their social distances on and off the water Keep clear of the OD Hut and Penelope other than for essential communication with the Race Officials; Treat as 'Out of Bounds'
- Wipe down club safety boats, radios etc before and after use
- Raise any concerns with the club COVID Officer; You can email via this link, Mail to LLSC's Covid Officer
Rules for Competitors
- ALWAYS book in via the Llandegfedd Watersports' booking system before attending
- Do not rig on the roadway - beach is best
- Respect others personal space - stay 2m apart
- Avoid touching or sharing other competitors equipment
- Do not go afloat unless you are confident of your ability to self recover - check the forecast
- Respect the clubs modified sailing rules to maintain 2m distance whilst competing
- Think before you help with recovery - maintain social distance
- Remember we are minimising the number of officials, so things may not go to plan - be forgiving!
If you book a slot and are unable to attend please phone the Watersports centre on 01633 373408 so it can be re-allocated. They can also advise on any issues with the booking system system
Other Sailing information and rules
- The site is open 7 days a week from 9:00AM until 5:00pm. Limited toilet facilities are available but indoor changing rooms remain closed so please change at home.
- The Welsh arm of the RYA have more advice for those that want to know more. The club rules are based on this information. See RYA CW 'Return to Boating'
- The club Laser 2000's and Lasers (radial rig) are available for use but must be booked through Welsh Water with a fee of £10 to pay for professional cleaning after use.
- If First Aid is required minor issues can be dealt with by a family member, otherwise approach Welsh Water staff for further assistance. Club members should only administer First Aid if it is an emergency and cannot be dealt with by others.
- All members must comply with both Welsh Water and Welsh Government regulations and guidance taking particular note of the following:
- Boats must stay 2 metres apart, using the normal racing rules to determine who gives way.
- The safety boat will watch and supervise, but will not assist in rescues unless absolutely necessary. Masks will be worn during rescues.
- These races will not be part of an official series, being just a collection of races. We will publish the results in the normal way.
The 2020 Local Handicaps and Pursuit race offsets are published and available for everyone to see. (Same as for 2019) Click HERE
2020 Open Meetings
We have NO events left this year.
- The RS 200 Ugly Tour was heldn Saturday 12th September.
- The 2000 Association Open Meeting is Cancelled
We now have the OD roster and race management information active again. The OD roster page and the OD Duties page (under Racing..) have a link to a short bit of RYA training on how to act as a one-man safety boat crew whilst we have social distancing in place. Please be thoughtful and maintain distancing, and leave the boats as clean as possible after you have used them and put them away.
1st November No Racing
8th November No Racing
15th November No Racing
22nd November No Racing
29th November, first race 12:00, 2 Handicaps
None arranged yet
Sunday results up to the 18th October 2020 and Wednesday results up to the 21st October 2020 can be found here.
Llandegfedd Water Sports
The web site of Llandegfedd.co.uk outlines the offerings of Llandegfedd Watersport's training and leisure offerings, as well as new walks around the reservoir. Look under Watersports....Sailing Llandegfedd Watersports web pages are here
How to Join the Llandegfedd Facebook Group
Our Facebook closed group is taking over from the email-based Yahoo! system. See the facebook links elsewhere on this page.