The links on the left provide most of the details that experienced sailors would expect to find about our racing. This will be expanded in 2018 to be easier to start racing for less experienced sailors. A very brief summary;
- Who can race? Any club member who can sail safely around other boats
- When do we race? See "Programme Llandegfedd" menu link on the left. This has a list of all of our races. There is a key at the foot of the page
- How do I join in? Ideally, talk to the Race Officer in the OD hut on the point, or on the committee boat. They will then watch out for you and make sure your name, boat number etc are recorded in the race.
- Where is the Race Course? The first race on Sundays, and the races on Wednesday evenings are nearly always from the OD hut. The list of buoys we sail around is displayed at the foot of the mast. Subsequent races on Sunday are often from the Committee Boat Penelope towards the top end of the reservoir after lunch.
- What do the numbers and letters mean? See Buoys in the menu on the left, where there is a map showing roughly where they all are.
- What is the start sequence? How do I know when to go? Pursuit races you will need to know the offset time where you start - see "Handicaps" Menu. Also have a look at Race Format, which gives a set of explanations on how the start sequence runs. The governing Sailing Instructions are on the left, under "Instructions"
- What else do I need to know? If this is all a bit daunting, why not join in the adult "Improvers" sessions run on some Saturdays. (See Training, Schedule) to find out which weekends these are running.
2018 Events and summary
We had some excellent racing in 2017 despite eccentric winds. We yet again have a World Champion, Robin Wood in the International Canoe. For 2018 we have our 50th year Anniversary and will lay on a special regatta to celebrate that in July.
2018 is our 50th Anniversary, so we are holding a special Regatta in July. Please follow this link to a page with all of the details. Llandegfedd Sailing Club 50th Anniversary Weekend, 2018, Sponsored by Kingstone Brewery This is a 2 day regatta, with prizes for the first 2 boats over 50 years old.
In between all the Top Gun Open Meetings and special events, we have racing every Sunday and on Wednesdays when it is light in the evenings. This year Wednesday racing starts on March 28th, and runs until September 12th. Note that the four Wednesday races at the start, and the four at the end of the season have their start half an hour early (18:30) to maximise the light available. The rest of the Handicap races start at 18:45. When we have pursuit races starting at 18:45 for the Toppers, it means that the majority of boats will start not far from 19:00.
On Sundays we have continued with the plan of a Pursuit race from the OD hut (or a committee boat fairly near there) and then have a break whilst we eat the lunch we bring with us. This has worked well and gives us a chance to talk to each other and put the world to rights before we have the next two races back to back after lunch.The full Llandegfedd Racing Programme including start times is at Llandegfedd Programme
2018 Racing programme days
The programme is not yet set and approved. Have no doubt though, that we will run a full programme of competitive sailing, using Pursuit and Handicap Racing. This will start after 1 March when the reservoir re-opens. Sunday 4 March at 12.00 is the likely start of the season.
After discussions at the "design the future..." meeting, the programme has been enhanced. Watch out for the coaching and "improvers" sessions as well, once we announce them. (under "Training")
2018 "Top Gun" Open to Visitors days
For 2018 we are running four Top Gun Sundays. This is a one-day mini-open meeting for all boats, and there should be prizes on the day. They are on the last Sundays of alternate months. Visitors have a nominal £5 entry fee, payable to the Club. The dates are:
- Top Gun Sunday number 1: 25th March
- Top Gun Monday number 2: 28th May: SPRINT racing, lots of starts with short races
- Top Gun Sunday number 3: 29th July
- Top Gun Sunday number 4: 30th September
The format of these Top Gun days is that there are three races, and no discards on the day. There are prizes on the day including for First Youth
There is a single fleet, with all types of boats sailing together. The first race is a Pursuit Race with a conventional course. The second race is a General Handicap with a triangular course. The final race is also a General Handicap with a windward/leeward course.
There is also a Top Gun Championship. This will be the combined results of the Top Gun Sundays, with ONE discard.
2018 Open Meetings
We have one major event this year, our 50th Anniversary Regatta on 21st and 22nd July. This will feature keen handicap racing, and there is a social programme being fitted around this. Please follow this link to a page with all of the details. Llandegfedd Sailing Club 50th Anniversary Weekend, 2018, Sponsored by Kingstone Brewery This is a 2 day regatta, with prizes for the first 2 boats over 50 years old.